Mon, July 31st, 2023
Dear Ole Tyme Produce Customers:
STRAWBERRIES: We are seeing a steady decline in berry production out of all growing regions. We are in a demand exceeds supply situation. Here are a few of the reasons we are seeing this scarcity of supply.
- Cooler than average early spring temperatures had severely reduced bee activity and the pollination process.
- Fewer flowers pollinated equates to lower yields at a later date.
- Daytime temperatures were very low through May and into July holding plants back.
- When plants finally came on in early July many growers were having to throw down a good amount of sub-par fruit with high color and moisture damage due to a persistent thick marine layer.
- The natural plant cycles are gradually coming to an end further reducing yields.
- Daylight hours are reducing as we move into Fall.
- We should see some relief as the Fall crop should begin to produce lightly in the second week of August and gradually build higher yields as September approaches.
- Markets are elevated in the $18.00 to $21.00 dollar range with very limited availability.
If you have any additional questions, please reach out to your Sales Representative or our Customer Service team.
Ole Tyme Produce
“The produce purchased from Ole Tyme Produce is always fresh and expertly packaged. We—and our recipients—appreciate the high quality and variety of produce.”
Chief Executive Officer, Operation Food Search
“From the driver to the CEO they bend over backwards to meet your needs. One of the best vendors of any type we have. Highly recommend them.”
“In these days of large corporations, it's nice to partner with a local family business. Their name says it all, Ole Tyme Produce, reminding you that their family grown business provides the kind of service you reminisce about from the past with quality grown and delivered products. Over 25 years we have come to count on their outstanding customer service, quality products, and their hospitality driven staff which has helped us grow our successful business. We appreciate their partnership, and we look forward to working together for many years to come.”
Owner/Operator, The Original Pancake House